Monday, April 22, 2013

Riggs Hudson Mitchell

|The birth story|

On Monday, March 18th I had my 38 week ultrasound to check baby's size. He was weighing 7lbs 11oz give or take a pound. I was shocked! How could I have such a small baby!! My C-section was scheduled for Friday the 22nd. I thought he'd be for sure 8lbs by then if not bigger.

On Wednesday I had my weekly appointment with Dr. B. Judy checked my blood pressure and it was 157/94. When Dr B came into my room she asked how I felt about having a baby that day. I told her I was fine with it because I was so done with being pregnant. She asked when I ate last which was around 8am so I had to wait 8 hours before they could do the surgery. She called the hospital to let them know I was on my way. She sent me straight over there to get all my labs and everything so I would be ready for surgery at 4pm. WHAT?!

When I got to the car I was literally freaking out. I could not believe that I was having a baby that day. I called my mom and told her to meet us at the hospital to pick up Asher. As I sat in triage I just kept crying. I felt like such a terrible Mom because I was going to have to share my attention and Asher wasn't going to be my baby anymore. The nurses and Cam kept assuring me that everything would be fine, but I wasn't having it. Then Asher started coughing and one of the nurses told me that he shouldn't come back to the hospital and he would have to wait to see the baby til I got home. I LOST IT. I was so looking forward to Asher being able to meet his little brother and she just told me that its not a good idea. I finally got calmed down and had all my labs done and was just waiting for 4:00 to roll around. I had my IV and I was taking medicine to help with the awful cough that I had. I really didn't want to cough through the surgery and mess her up.

Just after 4:00 the anesthesiologist came into my room to tell me it was go time. I walked into the OR and came went to the recovery room until everything was ready. I was the first person in the room. Umm... I'm pretty sure I'm about to have a semi major surgery and there is no one here. The had me sit on the table and started the spinal. I kept feeling it in my right side. I don't know how many times it took them before they got it in the right spot. At least 10 - no kidding. Then it was time to lay down before I was completely numb and couldn't move. Soon enough I figured out that coughing was not an option. Its nearly impossible when your diaphragm is numb. Talk about an uncomfortable feeling. Cam came in and sat down by my head just like he did with Asher. We talked about random stuff that I can't even remember anymore while the time past. Both Doctors started rocking me back and forth trying to get the baby out. They were out of breath and had to take a break cause he just wasn't wanting to come out! Finally, at 4:36 pm my sweet baby was born. The doctor had came stand up to take a picture and then he went over while the baby was being cleaned up and weighed. He weighed in at 7lbs 15.3oz and 21 in long! Not even 8lbs! I didn't know that was even possible for me!! While they finished closing me up Cameron was back in recovery. Finally just before 5:00 I was wheeled in to recovery and was able to feed my boy. He latched perfectly and was perfectly calm. We had a couple of hours there just the 3 of us before we had any visitors.

Once I got to my post partum room my Mom, Asher and Courtney came to visit. Seeing Asher with Riggs was so sweet. He was so amazed for about 5 seconds and then just wanted to explore the room! We had more family come that night and the next couple of days. We had some awesome nurses and some I could have done without. Being a mom to 2 definitely takes a little getting used to. Its been a month now (already!) and I think I have the hang of it. At least for right now!

Pictures will be posted as soon as I figure out how to put them on this computer!

No comments:

Post a Comment